This Surprising Springtime Delight Could Be Deadly For Your Dog - World of Angus

This Surprising Springtime Delight Could Be Deadly For Your Dog

Spring is in the air and everything is about to blossom. This includes tulips and hyacinths! This is important to note and here's why:

Both tulips and hyacinths are Liliacae. They contain allergenic lactones and alkaloids. The toxicity of this is located in the bulbs of these plants (not the flower or the leaves).

When ingested by dogs, it can result in severe physical distress. Severe poisoning happens when dogs dig up the bulbs (or tear open a bag of them) and start chewing and eating the them. After they've been chewed and ingested, your pup can suffer from a myriad of serious and critical symptoms. 


These symptoms include:

  • Drooling
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Increased heart rate
  • Increased respiratory rate
  • Difficulty breathing

If they eat the flowers or leaves of the plants, they might not feel so great but it's nowhere near as dangerous as them eating the bulbs. If your dog does ingest tulip bulbs, seek medical assistance immediately.

It's best to keep digging dogs away from your tulip beds! 


1. Pet Poison Help 

Nicole Simone
Nicole Simone


1 Response


March 12, 2021

Muchas gracias. ?Como puedo iniciar sesion?

Leave a comment